Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 18:35:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <hoek@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To:        Sergios <sergios@hol.gr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: msdosfs broken...

On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, Sergios wrote:

> Just of curiosity what exactly happens in this case? Once I mounted a large
> dos partition to copy some files there and on boot the bsd / had vanished
> [!]. I had to reinstall / but I am still curious why it was the / filesystem
> that got corrupted and not the dos partition....

Yours vanished?  Hmm...  Consider yourself lucky...  Mine didn't quite go
away so I ended up spending much time trying to save what turned out to be
pretty much unsaveable...

> (Now I have / in its own slice and differrent partitions for /usr /var etc.
> so In Case Shi* happens I will not have to reinstall everything.)

I didn't try mounting the root dir on a slice especially for it, but I do
know that having different partitions for /usr, etc. won't protect you
from the msdosfs code.

You probably would've lost your bsd slice to msdosfs even if you hadn't
tried copying files to/from dos/.  Just a simple `ls /dos' would do the
trick.

>From the fact that you don't even have to make msdosfs write to the hdd,
I'd guess that it doesn't actually ruin the bsd slice itself, but somehow
convinces ufs to do it.  hehe...  I tried mounting `/' as readonly to
prevent that, then quickly found I couldn't boot with '/' as readonly, and
that to change '/' from readonly, one has to write to `/'...

The odd thing, if I remember correctly, is that it does actually seem to
read the DOS slice correctly and whatsmore, doesn't damage the DOS slice
at all (or visibly, at least).

The problem that you asked about, where msdosfs complains about the
cluster size not being right, causes a different problem, namely
corruption of the DOS slice (not the BSD slice).

--
Outnumbered?  Maybe.  Outspoken?  Never!
tIM...HOEk