Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 22:35:45 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        GB/DEV - Doug Poland <doug.poland@omniresources.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.2R Installation problem -- Read Error

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 02:55:37PM -0600, GB/DEV - Doug Poland wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just completed an install of 4.2-RELEASE on a Gateway 266 PII.  I went
> through the entire config and install without a problem until it was
> time to remove the install CD and reboot.
>
> After the bios and vga boot info appears, I get a screen refresh
> and
>
> Read error
>
> as the only message.  Sounds like a MBR problem?  Anyone have a
> solution other than re-install?

A few people have had this problem.
The boot loader on 4.2 seems to be jinxed under certain circumstances.
I have been through this exhaustively..
You have a choice:

Choice 1: Select the standard mbr option as the boot method.
Choice 2: Boot from CD or FD and load the newly installed kernel - then
 install grub, which works very well and is simple as can be
 to configure. Grub is in the ports.

Good Luck
Cliff