Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 03:40:20 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Brian Sobolak <sobolak@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, Alan Edmonds <kb5zuy@airmail.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: 4.4-Release install hangs

On 21 Nov 2001, at 23:07, Brian Sobolak boldly uttered:

> Wednesday, November 21, 2001, 7:52:09 AM, you wrote:
>
> PJK> I tried scroll-lock earlier, doesn't have any effect.  The last line
> PJK> on the screen (the one I presume it is hanging on) doing a verbose
> PJK> boot is:
>
> >> isa_probe_children: probing PnP devices
>
> This is just a total guess (and am thus replying off list) but have
> you disabled PnP in your BIOS?  It sometimes mucks with things.
>
> brian

OK, I got to the bottom of this.

Believe it or not, the culprit was a setting in the BIOS pertaining
to the USB port, called "Assign USB IRQ".

Since I wasn't planning to use USB, I set it to "No".  Bad Juju.
Once I changed that, the FreeBSD install no longer hung. (I set all
the rest of the settings back to where they were in the first place
just to make sure)

Guess either there is something funky about the way the BIOS on this
board disables the USB IRQ, or the FreeBSD prober/installer has a bit
of an oversensitivity to it.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium