Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 2000 20:41:44 +0000
From:      rob <europax@home.com>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@FreeBSD.ORG>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: make 'ls' in console color files like SuSE

Ben Smithurst wrote:

> rob wrote:
>
> > Thank you.  I will try it out- hopefully my ports collection will work.
> > I think I may have made a big goof earlier today.  I was having problems
> > trying to make ports and getting broken internet links to the distfiles,
> > so I installed the 5.0-current version of ports.tar.gz.
>
> If you mean the 5.0-current version of the /usr/ports tree, there is no
> such thing really.  There is only one version of the /usr/ports tree,
> which works on both -current and the latest -stable.  (It works fine on
> 3-stable too, but I think it's only "guaranteed" to work on the latest
> -stable.)  If you're talking about the pre-compiled packages, they are
> different for each FreeBSD version.  (Though I guess you're not since
> they're .tgz not .tar.gz.)
>
> --
> Ben Smithurst / ben@FreeBSD.org / PGP: 0x99392F7D

That makes sense, since I could find ports.tar.gz in only one place on
the ftp site.  The ports collection I was using is off of the 4.0 CD
set, and had some broken links to distfiles.

I went ahead and installed the gnu fileutils.  Although I realize now
that I didn't have to, I figured out how colored 'ls' works on my Linux
box, and now have a color 'ls' on this BSD machine.  And learned a new
thing about setting up my Bash shell- how to use aliases.

Now I have only one problem, for some reason the files that should be
colored red are not.  Those would be .tgz .tar  .gz etc.  More hacking
is needed.  Rob.