Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 2003 14:33:08 -0800
From:      "Lin Jianfong" <ljfong@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem syncing palm m125 w/ jpilot and pilot-xfer

Hi,

I just bought a Palm m125 model recently and tried to sync it via the USB
cradle/cable on my fbsd 4.7R box. I got the process going all up to the
point when trying to backup and sync using jpilot and pilot-xfer.

The problems :
- For some reason, jpilot is having trouble reading AddressDB, ToDoDB and
MemoDB off my palm. It can read DateBookDB no problem. If I tried syncing,
the process will go thru and jpilot will sync only DateBook's but not the
other 3 apps' database. Same thing when doing backup. I set both jpilot and
palm to communicate at 9600bps.

- For pilot-xfer, pretty much the same problem, when I tried doing  "%
pilot-xfer -p /dev/pilot -b $HOME/palm_backup", the process will go thru, it
reported succeeded in reading the RAM from Palm, and Palm itself reported
success in synchronizing but...afterwards, $HOME/palm_backup is still EMPTY.
pilot-xfer just didn't bother to report any error.

I used jpilot version 0.99.4, and pilot-link is 0.11.7.

I can install applications on the palm using jpilot no problem, just can't
make a full backup of my data on it. I have also tried coldsync, and gpilot,
coldsync simply didn't work for I/O error, gpilot just coredumped
repeatedly.

I followed the instructions on www.geekhome.net/palm.html to set up my USB
port and kernel.

Here's my setup :

in kernel config file :
device uhci
device usb
device ucom
device uvisor

in etc/usbd.conf :
device "Palm Handheld"
	devname "ucom0"
	vendor 0x0830
	product 0x0040
	release 0x0100

initialized the unit with username and id using "% install-user -p...".

in /dev :
crw-rw-rw-  1 uucp  dialer  138, 128 Feb 15 20:59 ucom
crw-rw-rw-  1 uucp  dialer  138, 128 Feb 16 05:53 ucom0

when "hotsync" button is pushed :
ucom0: Palm, Inc. Palm Handheld, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 3

Anyone has better experience, and any idea what I'm missing here ?