Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 22:13:31 -0400
From:      Leo Papandreou <leo@talcom.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel config script:

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 07:31:57PM -0600, Wes Peters wrote:

[...]

> And, as far as *word processors* go, troff, nroff, and ed pretty
> much suck.  Don't get me wrong, I completely agree they are useful
> tools, as borne out by the number of books that have been typeset
> over the years using troff.  But a word processor they DO NOT make.

Thats absolutely correct. They have no built-in diversion to cope
with writer's block. With MS-Word you can futz with fonts for hours :-)

[...]

> But as a word processor, is it really any better than MacWrite on an
> original Mac 128K?  Or, to stack the deck a little more, a Mac Plus?
> *I* don't think so.  That was a system well suited to word processing,
> except the tiny screen.  Nothing since then has advanced the state of
> the art in word processing, only in being able to do other things with
> your word processor.

Dont forget included page layout functionality which allows everyone
to accomplish thoroughly banal work equally well. In a variety of fonts,
no less.

I'm still amazed at how long the typesetting trade got by without 3d
logos. People must have read documents, or something, back when.