Date:      Sat, 20 May 00 18:15 IST
From:      veliath@jasmine.hclt.com
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD* mutex summary

Quoting Terry Lambert:
u> If the resource itself has reservations made by a high priority
u> process, then the operation is called "priority inheritance", since
u> by virtue of the low priority process using the resource, it will
u> inherit the priority of the highest priority process holding a
u> reservation on the ersource (in intention-mode locking, this is a SIX
u> lock: Shared, Intention eXclusive).  When the resource is released,
u> the priority of the lower priority process is reduced to its previous
u> value.

	Isn't this akin to SVR4/MP kernels raising the spl before
	acquiring a lock, to the highest spl at which that lock is
	acquired? i.e. if an interrupt routine and a "base" routine
	share a lock, the base routine raises the spl to protect
	itself against the interrupt routine being scheduled on the
	same processor as it is.

	Ofcourse in this case the "reservations" are done at compile
	time.

u> If the resource does not have a reservation pending, and is allocated
u> to a low priority process, then when a high priority process needs
u> the resource, the low priority priority process is "lent" the high
u> priority process' priority _until it releases the resource_.  This
u> operation is called "priority lending".

	And isn't this what the Solaris documentation calls "priority
	inheritance"?

	I understand Solaris uses this to avoid having code that
	needs run only at low spls run at high spls unless necessary.
	[if at all they have the concept of "spl"s anymore - even
	internaly. Its not documented in their Driver Writers Guide.]

	Correct me if I am wrong. I am trying to understand whats
	being defined here.

u> In the general case, priority inheritance is more efficient than
u> priority lending, IFF the resource is going to be repeatedly released
u> and reacquired.
u>
u> IFF the resource is _not_ going to be released and reacquired, then
u> one can delay, perhaps permanently, the need for a lower priority
u> process to obtain higher priority.  This permits priority lending to
u> be more efficient, in that the processes are "truer to their intended
u> priorities" than they might otherwise be.
	I do not understand this. Could you describe a scenario where
	"priority inheritance" (your definition) is more efficient
	than "priority lending" (again your definition).

	Thank you,
	veliath

u> Priority inheritance is generally associated with Djikstra's
u> "Banker's Algorithm", which is a prereservation of all needed
u> resources.
u>
u> Priority lending is not; since Djikstra's algorithm has some
u> potentially significant negative effects on concurrency (#1 wants "A"
u> then "B", #2 wants "B", #2 could run to completion before #1 asks for
u> "B", but can not run because "B" has been precomitted to #1 to avoid
u> deadlock), priority lending is to be preferred for most cases (an
u> exception is for resources which will be held for long periods of
u> time, or repeatedly held and released, at which point the in-band
u> cost of lending is once per transaction, whereas the priority
u> inheritance setup costs can be amortized over all transactions).
u>
u>
u> A FreeBSD example similar to "priority inheritance" is when a process
u> opens /dev/io, it gains access to the I/O bus.  When it closes
u> /dev/io, this access is revoked.
u>
u>
u> A FreeBSD example similar to "priority lending" is seen in the
u> "FASTINTR" processing.
u>
u>
u> 					Terry Lambert