Date:      Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:58:15 +0100
From:      Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
To:        Marco Calviani <marco.calviani@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 6.0 on Acer Travelmate 8000 series

Hi, Marco,

> ACPI should work well though it may require a little DSDT modification
> > due to some bugs in the BIOS (AFAIU).
>
> sorry but can you specify why should i need to modify these settings, and
> what kind of bugs is there in the BIOS (if you know this)?
> Do you know if this is a freeBSD-related problem? With Linux i didn't have
> any sort of problem using ACPI (the only modification i've done to normal
> use and install is to have used a nolapic option at boot time).

The problem I have been faced with can be seen here :
    http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2005-May/050282.html

The ASL dump of the DSDT is obtained with acpidump(8).

Once you have the patched DSDT, you may want to load it automatically
at boot time.  Put it in /boot/DSDT.aml and then add this to
loader.conf(5) :
% acpi_dsdt_load="YES"
% acpi_dsdt_name="/boot/DSDT.aml"

I hope this will help.

I don't know if this problem is FreeBSD-specific.  I have an Acer laptop
too but not the same model as yours, so you may simply not encounter
this very problem actually.

Regards,
--
Jeremie Le Hen