Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 14:23:06 -0800
From:      "David Schultz" <vvortex1@home.com>
To:        "Rick Knebel" <rknebel@uplink.net>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Security

> I want to run a little home server with mail,web,ftp and telnet servers
> running.
>
> This is rather vague , but can you do this and still be secure ?

If you log in to your computer remotely via unencrypted POP3, FTP, or
telnet, someone may be able to intercept your password. However, you can
still run sendmail on your home computer and safely check mail through your
login account. You can login via SSH instead of telnet and use SFTP (or
regular FTP through an SSH tunnel) to avert security issues on those fronts.

Can you do all that and still keep your system reasonably secure? That
depends on your definition of "secure." Most of the common servers that
folks run today have been around for a while, but bugs and security glitches
are occasionally found. It's a good idea to keep up to date to avert
potential problems. I wouldn't be overly concerned about security beyond
taking basic precautions, although others will disagree with me. As a home
user, you're in a relatively low-risk category--- corporate and government
servers are much more interesting to vandals.