Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 22:00:07 +0200
From:      Peter Verhage <petercv@zeelandnet.nl>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Input/output Error

Hi,

A month ago or something I upgraded my system to FreeBSD 4.4 STABLE. Never had
any problems until a few days ago. I wanted to use the 'ps' program and some
other userland programs and when I started those programs I got the following
error: Input/output error. Some programs did work like 'top' but most programs
gave the same error. So I thought maybe when I reboot the system everything is
OK. But ofcourse I couldn't use 'reboot', 'fastboot' and couldn't even use
'halt' :(. So a hard reboot it was.

When the system came back up again everything seemed fine again. Everything
works fine I can use all userland programs etc. etc. But when I let the system
alone for a while (I don't know exactly how long, but less then 4 hours) I get
the same error again and again and again :(.

Does anyone have a clue what the cause of this error is? Could it be a problem
with the harddrive? All partitions are on the same disk, but some programs do
work others don't... Or could it be something else?

Please send reply's also to my e-mail adress and not only to the list because
the e-mail adress I'm subscribed with points to the box that has got these
problems (and I possibly can't receive any messages).

With kind regards,

Peter