Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 20:45:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ntpd / time server confusion

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, P. U. (Uli) Kruppa wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Last night I thought it would be a nice idea to fetch the
> exact time from some internet time server.
> As far as I can see, I have ntpdate enabled in rc.conf and
> I have produced some kind of /etc/ntp.conf but doing
> # ntpdate I keep receiving messages like this:
>
> 18 Nov 10:39:42 ntpdate[56133]: no servers can be used,
> exiting

I think you're running ntpdate on boot (by enabling it in
rc.conf) and then perhaps running ntpd.  If ntpd is running,
ntpdate cannot be used.

The ntp.conf file and the driftfile refer to ntpd. ntpd can
be started on boot with the xntpd_enable="YES" line; the
program it runs in now named ntpd rather than xntpd.

	Annelise

> In Google I found some confusing pages about time servers
> being down because of security risks.
>
> So my question is:
> Does this work at all and if yes
>   which lines should be put into my rc.conf and my ntp.conf?
>
> Thanx for your answers.
>
> Uli.

Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC
Available from:	 mall.daemonnews.org and amazon.com
Book Website:    http://www.bittreepress.com/FreeBSD/introbook/