Date:      Sat, 24 Dec 1994 20:16:04 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        "Jussi P. Korkala" <jkorkala@xgw.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.0 install doesn't detect hard discs (Adaptec 1542CF)

>I have two SCSI-2 discs on my AHA-1542CF controller, they are as follows:
>ID #0 - ST 1480 (406 MB SCSI-2)
>ID #1 - DPES 31080 (1033 MB SCSI-2 FAST)
>
>The problem is that freebsd installation does not even detect the drives. The
>install menu doesn't have anything on it, none of the functions work.

   I assume that the controller isn't even recognized? Do you have it at the
factory address, or do have it specially configured? It should be at 0x330 and
irq 11. If you have it at a special address and don't want to change it, you
can work around this until you build a custom kernel by using the -c option at
the Boot: prompt and setting the parameters for aha0. Use 'help' to see the
available commands at the config> prompt.

-DG