Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:27:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, Ralph Schreyer <schreyer@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
Subject:   nasty error in graphics/gdk-pixbuf port!!

Dear Ade,

we just found a nice little error in the Makefiles of graphics/gdk-pixbuf
(0.9.0)

The build directory (in the ports tree) is hard coded into the shared
libs! That is, for auto mounted ports, the ports collection is mounted by
anyone who wants to start, say the GNOME panel!

We recognized the problem while we were compiling GNOME for FreeBSD-alpha!
The i386 GNOME just wanted to load an alpha module (from the ports
filesystem) and failed miserably on all our i386 boxes...

Here an excerpt from the build process:

cc -shared -Wl,--rpath
-Wl,/.amd_mnt/merlin/freebsd/ports/graphics/gdk-pixbuf/w
ork/gdk-pixbuf-0.9.0/gdk-pixbuf/.libs -Wl,--rpath
-Wl,/usr/X11R6/lib/gdk-pixbuf/ loaders io-png.lo -lpng -lz
.libs/libgdk_pixbuf.so -L/usr/local/lib -lgmodule1 2 -lglib12
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgtk12 -lgdk12 -lgmodule12 -lglib12 -lintl -lxpg4 -
lXext -lX11 -lm -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lz -Wl,-soname
-Wl,libpixbufloader-png.so -o .libs/libpixbufloader-png.so

the same happens for libpixbufloader-jpeg.so and libpixbufloader-gif.so

We would be very grateful if you could take that reference out of the
Makefiles (we did'nt find our how to do that in a decent way...)

best regards and many thanks in advance
	Ralph & Jan

--
Physikalisches Institut der Universitaet Bonn
Nussallee 12