Date:      Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:56:35 -0500
From:      Nathan Vidican <nvidican@wmptl.com>
To:        Olaf Greve <o.greve@axis.nl>
Cc:        amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware RAID support? Which controller best to use?

Olaf Greve wrote:
> Hi Ray, Nathan (and others via cc per list),
>
> First off: thanks a lot for your answers, they're definitly very helpful!
>
> I have forwarded the messages to the person who'll have to make the
> final call for ordering the hardware.
>
> I'm trying to get him towards ordering a 3Ware-Escalade 9500S-4 RAID
> controller (or possibly the -8 or -12 one).

I have a 9500S-4 here, with 5 250GB RAID edition drives attached to it. - Works
VERY well, have never had any issues with it at all, running RAID 5 array on it.

> One thing which is of importance is that their budget may not allow for
> a really high end server, so they may have to decide to buy a semi
> high-end server. This then may result in them taking Athlons instead of
> Opterons, and it may result in a MoBo with 32-bits PCI slots instead of
> 64-bits PCI slots. Judging from the pictures of the 9500S it has a
> 64-bits PCI slot, but it looks like it might be compatible with the
> 32-bits slots as well (at a performance penalty, of course).
> Would you happen to know if that's indeed possible, or whether they'd
> better choose a different RAID controller?

3Ware cards all work 64/32-bit PCI slots. Also...

Cheap Opteron's can be had, even new hardware; look at Sun x2100's, starting at
like $750 complete... or eBay a clone ;) You should be able to put together what
you're looking for under $1000, plus the cost of your disks.... you didn't
really mention what kinda load you'll be anticipating, connections/bandwidth
capabilities/etc... but if you'd like to provide more specific requirements,
(ie: 70 clients connecting from Windows machines to SQL for entry/updates, plus
3 webservers querying average of say 5-10 users each...) then we (the list) may
better be able to guide you.

> Regarding the MySQL versions and their settings: tnx for giving me
> enough comfort to indeed give heavy preference for the FreeBSD amd64
> version. Will (source) installing the version from the ports do, or do
> you mean something else when you say that you compiled MySQL yourself?

Personally, looking into Sun's new x2100 for a pure mysql server setup over
here, (cost $745 single Opteron 146/1GB ecc/80gb s-ata)... it'll be an upgrade
to a dual PIII proliant box doing the job right now, (10800 connections per day,
cascading updates accross 4 tables/180 fields of data about 3 times every 8
seconds). Currently mysql takes about 35-40% CPU utilization; to further add to
your 'windows vs freebsd' - if used solely for mysql, this same machine couldn't
handle this load under windows - period.

> Regarding the benchmark results: I'd love to receive them. Can you
> perhaps send them off-list to me?
>
> Regarding W*nd*ws vs. FreeBSD: I love your remark; I wonder if the
> person I forwarded it to can laugh as loudly about it as I did. :D
>
> Finally regarding SCSI vs. SATA:
>
>>   I've had far better luck using SATA over SCSI in the recent couple
>> of years.
>> We have several machines setup using FreeBSD and 3Ware RAID 0+1 that
>> routinely
>> run with no problems and uptimes of 200 to 300 days at a time.

Hands down, SCSI is a stable and solid performer... but compare cost per meg,
both in terms of storage amounts, and bandwidth - and S-ATA takes it.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican@wmptl.com