Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 05:43:41 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        John Preisler <john@vapornet.net>
Cc:        "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: video and sound card recommendations?

> One must match the software to supported hardware.  For video cards,
> peruse the XFree86 list of supported cards.  From what I gather the
> riva tnt is unsupported, or has immature support in xfree.  Perhaps
> someone running one of these cards can say for sure.  The riva tnt is

I have one of these cards (STB Velocity 4400) and use it with XFree86
3.3.3.1's SVGA server, no problems.  It's not a mad speed-demon or
anything, but it's more than stable and usable for me at 1280x1024x32
(I could go even larger at this depth in 16MB of video memory, but
I don't like teeny weeny eye-strain-o-fonts.

It's certainly correct that nothing supports the 3D features at all at
this time.  Heck, even for windows I have yet to see anything which
purports to take advantage of the Riva TNT chipset to a degree close
to what games are routinely doing with the Voodoo chipsets, and this
is supposed to be a comparable architecture.  We'll certainly not see
its abilities exploited to the fullest by DirectX, that's for sure.

However, for a really cheap 2D card with lots of RAM, I like it.  It
certainly beats the 4MB Matrox Millenium it replaced and it only set
me back $89.

- Jordan