Date:      Sun, 17 May 1998 21:51:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Webster <andrew@guardian.fortress.org>
To:        MP <mlistbsd@icorp.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: too many open files problem

You want to only bind your nameserver to your primary IP address.
Using bind 8.x you can use the statement
 listen-on { a.b.c.d, e.f.g.h } in the options section.  This will limit
the addresses to which you will respond, but typically you'll only want a
couple of these anyway.

For bind 4.9.x I don't have an answer.

On Sun, 17 May 1998, MP wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm running into a problem with FreeBSD 2.2.6.
>
> I have two Class C's on my network and recently a hacker tunnelled into the
> backbone and masqueraded under an unused IP in my subnet to do spamming.
> As a result, I opted to bind all my IP addresses - used or not, to one of
> my servers.  So I have about 400 or so IPs bound.  When I boot FBSD 2.2.6,
> everything works, but if I -HUP the nameserver, I get this in the messages
> log:
>
> May 17 14:29:37 mysys named[1266]: starting.  named 4.9.6-REL Wed Mar 25
> 00:29:
> 44 GMT 1998     jkh@time.cdrom.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/usr.sbin/named
> May 17 14:29:37 mysys named[1266]: fcntl(dfd, F_DUPFD, 20): Too many open
> files
> May 17 14:29:37 mysys last message repeated 15 times
>
> The hard limit on open files is set at 360 - this may be inadequate since I
> may have up to 512 domains mapped to my server.  I assume there is a
> relationship between these two concepts.
>
> In scanning the archives on FreeBSD.org, none of the solutions worked for
> me (regarding setting ulimit ...) - and I didn't try anything regarding
> compiling the kernel - I'm using the generic compilation right now.
>
> What are my options?  Do I need to tune the kernel to solve this problem?
>
> If so, would someone be so kind as to walk me through this process?
> Initial examinations showed a value OPEN_MAX, but it simply referenced some
> header file that I could not find on the system - I haven't done enough
> research yet to figure out what to do.
>
> Any help would be GREATLY appreciated - please direct e-mail to: mp@icorp.net
>
> Thanks very much!!

Andrew Webster                              andrew@pubnix.net
Key fingerprint =  CF E8 16 B8 A6 DB E3 C9  83 E7 96 24 25 58 15 6E
PubNIX Montreal    Connected to the world   Branche au monde
P.O. Box 147       Cote Saint Luc, Quebec   H4V 2Y3
tel 514.990.5911   http://www.pubnix.net    fax 514.990.9443