Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:24:35 -0500
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: forwarding icmp redirects.

On Thu, Dec 29, 2005 at 02:04:58PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> I know WE don't generate non local icmp redirects but I notice that we
> would forward them should someone else (malicious or not) generate them..
> I think that we possibly should check for them in our forwarding code..
> (of course you can stop them with the firewall but..)

Why this particular one out of the semi-infinite set of malicious packets?

If I had to pick one, I'd drop packets arriving with a source IP that we
think is one of ours.

But in general I think FreeBSD should obey RFCs and match the good
behavior of widely used commercial routers.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I never met a computer I didn't like.