Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 20:53:23 -0500
From:      RoadRunner <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
To:        "Bert Hiddink" <hiddink@galileo.or.cr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm running (on 5 year old Dells) Pentium 200 MMX, 64Mb, S3 Trio+V chipset,

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002 19:49:56 -0800
"Bert Hiddink" <hiddink@galileo.or.cr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I tried to get a X-Windows Server running with the following
configuration:> FreeBSD release-4.4 on 5 year old Dells (Pentium 200 MMX,
64Mb), S3 Trio+V chipset.>
> I have installed X-Windows installed several times on other machines
with FreeBSD, however, in this > case, I have not had succes so far. I
have not give up yet but just would like to know wether > anyone of you
has done this succesfully? >

Sometimes, (though not always) I've found (especially with XFree 4.x that
rather than the correct S3 Trio, if you say S3 Virge (generic) it works
perfectly--found this out by accident, after a mistype in xf86config.
Since then, I've had success with this a few times--RH and Gentoo Linux as
well as FreeBSD.

HTH a little

Scott Robbins