Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 2010 22:58:02 +0100
From:      Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>
To:        Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: /pub or not /pub

On 08/11/2010 22:39, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Dominic Fandrey <kamikaze@bsdforen.de>wrote:
>> It has come to my attention that a lot of FTP mirrors have their
>> FreeBSD data under /FreeBSD instead of /pub/FreeBSD.
>>
>> Which version is recommended and used to create PACKAGESITE from
>> PACKAGEROOT?
> IMHO, if a site claim to be a mirror, they should follow the structure of
> the original site. For FreeBSD ftp mirrors, that means /pub/FreeBSD etc.
> If they provide a /FreeBSD that one should be a link to /pub/FreeBSD and so
> on.

Thanks a lot for this input! I think ~half the German mirrors offer /FreeBSD
instead of /pub/FreeBSD, which really messes up my code that generates
PACKAGESITE_MIRRORS from PACKAGEROOT_MIRRORS for pkg_upgrade.

This is of course not limited to German mirrors. At one point I actually thought
there was an official policy change involved and I started changing my code,
until I recognized that there are still mirrors around that use the /pub/FreeBSD
layout.

It would be simple to insert layout probing code, but it would result in an
annoying delay for every single call of the program. Especially in small use
cases, when it's completely irrelevant that a couple of mirrors don't work.

Regards,
Dominic