Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2003 20:38:37 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Eberhard Moenkeberg <emoenke@gwdg.de>
To:        <freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: rsync beta testers?

Hi,

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Ken Smith wrote:

> Are any official mirror sites who use rsync to feed off ftp-master
> willing to help me kick the tires of a different machine?
>
> If your ping-times to "rsync-master.cse.buffalo.edu" are better than
> what you get to ftp-master.freebsd.org and if you wouldn't mind watching
> your rsync's for a bit to see if you get better performance out of
> this machine than ftp-master let me know.  It's a FreeBSD-5.1/sparc64
> machine with four 400MHz processors and 4Gb of memory in it.  So,
> in some aspects it's in better shape than ftp-master, while in other
> aspects it's in worse shape.  I don't know at the moment how it will
> all balance out...

I (ftp2.de.freebsd.org) usually rsync from ftp-master.cz.freebsd.org,
with excellent response: only 18 minutes today for a single run over the
whole 128 GB, transferring 200 MB.

With rsync-master.cse.buffalo.edu I get:

opening tcp connection to rsync-master.cse.buffalo.edu port 873
@ERROR: access denied to FreeBSD from ftp.gwdg.de (134.76.11.100)

Please, give me a try. ;-))

Cheers -e
--