Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 1996 09:44:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Thomas Gellekum <thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de, adam@veda.is, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: doc directory

On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Thomas Gellekum wrote:

> Satoshi Asami wrote:
> >

> >  * I think we also proposed a new variable in /etc/make.conf,
> >  * something like ${NOPORTDOCS). Porters could then conditionalize the
> >  * installation of additional docs by
> >
> > Um, we can do that too, but is this really necessary?  I just don't
> > see the need of putting this in just to save a little bit of space.
> >
> > Unless we are advocating putting 100K ps files and such in the ports
> > doc dir....
>
> Well, I have the latest icon src at home, and there are a few 100K
> of docs going with it. Or elk, where all the important bits are
> buried in the tarball.
>
> I don't think it's unreasonable to install the stuff if you think
> about some ports' info files:
>
> thomas:134) du /usr/local/lib/xemacs-19.13/info/
> 6144    /usr/local/lib/xemacs-19.13/info/

Info files oughta be where info can find them, but fixing a DIR file
could be a chore.  But I have to agree, glomming onto those big ps (or
even plain text files) that a number of our ports have is exactly what I
was thinking about.

> The number is in KBytes.
>
> tg

Chuck Robey chuckr@eng.umd.edu, I run FreeBSD-current on n3lxx + Journey2

Three Accounts for the Super-users in the sky,
  Seven for the Operators in their halls of fame,
Nine for Ordinary Users doomed to crie,
  One for the Illegal Cracker with his evil game
In the Domains of Internet where the data lie.
  One Account to rule them all, One Account to watch them,
  One Account to make them all and in the network bind them.