Date:      Wed, 27 Jul 2016 10:51:39 +0200
To:        cpghost <cpghost@cordula.ws>, "Montgomery-Smith, Stephen" <stephen@missouri.edu>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "stephen@FreeBSD.org" <stephen@FreeBSD.org>, "freebsd-ports@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: math/open-axiom gone?

Hello,

>>> after updating my ports tree, I've found out that math/open-axiom
>>> has been deleted! After math/fricas unusable with sbcl-1.3.x for
>>> many months and now gone too, I'm left with NO alternatives for
>>> that kind of software here.
>>>
>>> Fortunately, I still have a working package of open-axiom on my machine,
>>> running with SBCL 1.3.1 right now:
>>>
>>> $ pkg version -v | grep open-axiom
>>> open-axiom-1.4.2_3                 ?   orphaned: math/open-axiom
>>>
>>> $ uname -a
>>> FreeBSD phenom.fritz.box 10.3-STABLE FreeBSD 10.3-STABLE #0 r303311: Mon Jul 25 20:42:34 CEST 2016     root@phenom.fritz.box:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>>>
>>> $ open-axiom
>>>              OpenAxiom: The Open Scientific Computation Platform
>>>                           Version: OpenAxiom 1.4.2
>>>                  Built on Friday June 19, 2015 at 22:28:27
>>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>    Issue )copyright to view copyright notices.
>>>    Issue )summary for a summary of useful system commands.
>>>    Issue )quit to leave OpenAxiom and return to shell.
>>> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> (1) -> )quit
>>>
>>> $ sbcl
>>> This is SBCL 1.3.1, an implementation of ANSI Common Lisp.
>>> More information about SBCL is available at <http://www.sbcl.org/>.
>>>
>>> SBCL is free software, provided as is, with absolutely no warranty.
>>> It is mostly in the public domain; some portions are provided under
>>> BSD-style licenses.  See the CREDITS and COPYING files in the
>>> distribution for more information.
>>> * (sb-ext:exit)
>>>
>>> Do you recommend to switch to Debian GNU/Linux, where those packages
>>> are still actively maintained, or is there a chance in hell to see
>>> those ports reappear in the near future on FreeBSD?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -cpghost.
>>>

> Hello, sorry for the late reply.
>
>> How did you manage to build math/open-axiom?  I tried building it again,
>> and I am still getting the errors.  You must have at least by-passed the
>> BROKEN within the port.
>
> I actually didn't build it now. It was built a while ago (from ports),
> and I was just lucky to still have it on that machine. Let me see how
> old it is...:
>
> $ ls -l `which open-axiom`
> -r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  1019720 Jun 19  2015 /usr/local/bin/open-axiom
>
> Okay, granted, that's *ancient*, already! ;-)

At minimum ;) Maybe its already antique ;)

> That's why I was surprised that the port disappeared, since I didn't even
> notice that it was marked BROKEN. I just kept using the installed program.
> I'm surprised it slipped through the upgrade cycle without me noticing,
> because last time I upgraded ports on that machine before yesterday was:
>
> $ zfs list -t snap | grep ports
> <...snip...>
> zroot/usr/ports@2016-05-13-r414969     1.32G      -  22.0G  -
>
> ... and, let me see... yes, it was marked BROKEN there. Okay, I'll have
> a look then, but I doubt I have the skills to fix that problem.

At least the error messages are very helpful. It even provides a link to
the manual with hints how to solve.
But to be fair there are only 2 choices:
1) revise the port and wrote numerous patches to be buildable again
2) get upstream to fix them

>> Also, regarding your last comment, I must admit that I also find myself
>> moving to Linux.  For certain tasks it works better than FreeBSD,
>> probably because it has a much larger base of volunteers, and also
>> because most people who write open source do it on Linux.
>
> Indeed. I didn't meant to sound harsh. Sorry if it came across as such.
> I was running low on coffee and high on frustration. A lot of good ports
> just vanished in the last couple of years.

Were they still supported? Is there any need?

> I really prefer FreeBSD for many, many reasons; but sometimes, you need
> to get some work done, and done pretty fast, and there's not much time
> to go hunting for the reason why a program won't compile, while on Linux,
> a './configure && make && make install' would usually suffice (more or less,
> of course, after getting all the dependencies in place).

At least this is also possible at FreeBSD ;) But that is not a good way
for server.

I have some customers paying me to keep old ports running/compiling even
after there were dropped from the portstree. This could be possibility
number 3 for you. Find somebody who is able to fix it.

Greetings,
Torsten