Date:      Sat, 5 Mar 2005 00:08:37 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gumbysoft.com>
To:        Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino@speakeasy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Terminal question for U5

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> I hope this is a quickie question:  What can I do to get a usable
> terminal for sysinstall on a Sun Ultra5, using the default built-in
> framebuffer attached to a Sun 365-1343 17" color monitor?  I have a
> perfectly good FreeBSD 5.3 sparc64 CD here which I can't install from
> because I can't see what I'm doing in sysinstall, because all the
> available terminal types appear to assume my screen is 80x25.

Use a serial console. Plug in a null-modem cable into the serial port,
connect the other end to a system of choice, and unplug the sun keyboard
from the U5. Fire up a terminal emulator on the other system. Boot the U5
from CD and follow the prompts. If you have another FreeBSD or Linux
machine you can typically get the color menus to work :)

Note that you can't run X on the builtin display anyway so unless you
particularly like the slow OBP console you'll want to use some other
method of communication.

dwhite@gumbysoft.com          |  www.FreeBSD.org