Date:      Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:17:40 -0500
From:      Tom Trelvik <ttt@cwru.edu>
To:        LukeD@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Received mail timestamp is off by 7 hours

Luke wrote:
> 1) NTP is difficult to configure.  I've done it, but it wasn't trivial.

	It's always seemed rather straightforward to me, what in particular
gave you trouble, perhaps we could help?

> 2) Finding an NTP server willing to accept traffic from the public isn't
> easy either.  For me it involved a scavenger hunt through out-of-date
> websites and a lot of failed attempts.

	time.nist.gov is public, and has it's own atomic clock.  A google
search for "public ntp servers" also found this:  http://www.pool.ntp.org/

> 3) If your clock tends to run noticably fast or slow, constant NTP
> corrections tend to do more harm than good, at least in my experience.
> It got to where I couldn't even run a buildworld because NTP kept
> tinkering with the clock in the middle of the process.

	That suggests larger problems on your system, to me, but I dunno.

Tom