Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 1998 14:30:04 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Important questions regarding the new slice code

I'm working on the final revision of the FOO.TXT stuff and it dawned on
me that I was unclear on something. Let's say that a user has a 2.2.5
system with a customized 2.2.5 kernel, the "upgrade from sysintstall"
method will obviously update mount, but will it update the kernel? If
not, what are the possible repercussions?

	I am planning to go with the following text regarding this issue in
IMPORTNT.TXT since Mike never got back to me with updated information.

	In the 2.2.6-Release version of FreeBSD new disk slice code has been
introduced. The new code should not cause problems with the vast
majority of installations providing that you follow a few simple
instructions.

1. If you are doing a new installation of FreeBSD there is nothing to
worry about, all of the appropriate steps will be handled for you
automatically.
2. If you are planning to upgrade to 2.2.6 using the "make world"
method, you MUST make the world first, THEN compile the new kernel, THEN
reboot. This is good practice in general for make world upgrades.
3. If you are using sysintall to upgrade to 2.2.6, ..... PLEASE FILL IN
THE BLANK

Thanks,

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest