Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:08:28 -0700
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        matrix@ipform.ru, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Let me drool a lil' bit about fbsd5

The big changes happening in -current are almost too numerous to list. I
will mention a few I can think of, but I'm sure to miss a few. Note that
at the moment most of these features are rather early in their
development cycle. -current is not approprate for users who are not
prepared to deal with a bumpy ride.

Background FSCK. Unclean shutdown/reboot cycles will result in a
filesystem check that runs in parallel with the rest of the system startup.

Replacment of the SMP "giant" lock with localized locking. Currently
much of the kernel is not thread-safe. There is one large lock (called
Giant) that protects almost all of the kernel from simultaneous use by
more than one processor. In the future, the kernel will have localized
data locks that insure that processors trying to do the same thing at
the same time will not interfere with each other, but that two
processors in the kernel doing tasks that don't interfere with each
other can run at the same time. This is the same model as the Solaris
2.x kernel. This is where a lot of the work on -current is taking place.

ACPI support. Work is in progress to integrate ACPI support which will
hopefully both improve device initialization and driver support.

Cardbus support.

I'm not sure, but rumors of Firewire/iLink support were also mentioned
once upon a time.

Check in on the freebsd-current mailing list (and its archives) to get
more information.