Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 22:32:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Cc:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>, Tomer Weller <spud@i.am>, "<ports@freebsd.org>" <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: KDE programs won't compile

On 6 Jun 1999, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:

> By default, KDE installs to /usr/local/kde.  On RedHat, the RPM
> installs it to /opt/kde.  All the includes are in
> /usr/local/kde/include, the libs in /usr/local/kde/lib, etc.

Yup.

> Most KDE programs, including the configure scripts, look for the
> KDEDIR environment variable.  I believe that the correct thing to do
> with FreeBSD's KDE install is to set KDEDIR to /usr/local.  I do this
> in /etc/profile and /etc/csh.cshrc here.  (I have KDE in
> /usr/local/kde here, too, so I haven't tested it as /usr/local.)

KDEDIR is depreciated.

> --prefix specifies where it should install to.  However, this app
> needs to find some 3rd-party include files, so --prefix is not
> appropriate.

Uh no.  The prefix is also used by the configuration script to figure out
where the kdelibs were installed to.  From configure:

ac_default_prefix=${KDEDIR:-/usr/local/kde}
[...]
includedir='${prefix}/include'
[...]
echo $ac_n "checking for KDE""... $ac_c" 1>&6
echo "configure:4014: checking for KDE" >&5

if test "${prefix}" != NONE; then
  kde_includes=${prefix}/include
  ac_kde_includes=$prefix/include

> FWIW, I've found that using /usr/local/kde instead of /usr/local has,
> in my case, been most helpful.  I don't advocate it for every tiny
> library, but for something as large and complex as KDE, it works well.

Yes, KDE scatters too many things too many places to really be a good fit
in /usr/local/kde.  Plus putting it in its own directory makes for easy
removal and switching between versions of KDE.

- alex

I thought felt your touch
In my car, on my clutch
But I guess it's just someone who felt a lot like I remember you.
  - Translator