Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 17:28:32 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        Alex Zepeda <jazepeda@pacbell.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -CURRENT is bad for me...

> Mike Smith wrote:

> > > How is this more acceptable than bumping the major number?  Are they
> > > really so precious that they can only be incremented once for a release
> > > cycle?  Seems to me that a new major number is far cleaner than a gross hac
>     k.
> >
> > The major number has ALREADY BEEN BUMPED.
> >
> > The "gross hack" is a transitional step necessary for the upgrade path to
> > work, and would be removed after it was no longer required.
>
> The "gross hack" can *NEVER* be removed and will live on through 5.0-RELEASE
> and 5.0-STABLE, because we *continue* to compile in the wrong sizes into
> applications.

Er, no, we wouldn't do this.

The "gross hack" ensures binary compatibility with old applications.
It's up to you or someone else to fix the source-level implementation of
stdin/out/err such that it's not dependant on the size of the new FILE
structure.

This is the same as, for example, renaming an ioctl to keep an old
interface alive.  Newly compiled code uses the new interface, not the old
one.