Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 01:08:41 -0700
From:      "Robert L Sowders" <rsowders@usgs.gov>
To:        Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        G D McKee <freebsd@gdmckee.com>, Questions FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, owner-freebsd-questions <owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Connecting to FreeBSD over SSH2 using SecureCRT

You also are completely correct.  I stand corrected.  I've already cleared
this up off-line with the original poster.

Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
04/26/2001 03:36 AM

        To:     Robert L Sowders <rsowders@usgs.gov>
        cc:     G D McKee <freebsd@gdmckee.com>, Questions FreeBSD
<freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, owner-freebsd-questions
<owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Robert L Sowders wrote:

> Your problem is you are trying to do port forwarding through a firewall.
> Setting up port forwarding with SecureCRT is simple between two boxes,
but
> put the third box between them and now you have a problem.
>
> To do port forwarding for pop you're telling SecureCRT to connect to the
> remote machine at port 110 and locally at localhost port.  The firewall
is
> disallowing connections to port 110.

Eh? This doesn't sound like a description of what SSH port forwarding
does at all.

If there's a firewall between you and the remote machine that allows an
ssh connection to the remote machine, AND the remote sshd is configured
to allow port forwarding, AND the remote machine can make a connection
to the port on the mail machine, then you can forward connections to an
arbitrary port on localhost to the remote mail machine via the remote
ssh machine.

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk