Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2014 20:23:59 -0800
From:      Xin Li <delphij@delphij.net>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>, d@delphij.net
Cc:        "freebsd-doc@freebsd.org" <freebsd-doc@freebsd.org>, Warren Block <wblock@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r43974 - head/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/advanced-networking

(redirecting to freebsd-doc@)

On 2/17/14, 7:10 PM, Warren Block wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Feb 2014, Xin Li wrote:
>
>> (Picking a random changeset, not specific to this one).
>>
>> On 2/17/14, 6:26 PM, Warren Block wrote:
>>> Author: wblock Date: Tue Feb 18 02:26:27 2014 New Revision:
>>> 43974 URL: http://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/doc/43974
>>>
>>> Log: Whitespace-only changes, translators please ignore.
>>> Patch from Allan Jude <freebsd@allanjude.com>.
>>
>> Can we stop doing this, or do it all in one time in less
>> frequent manner?  This type of changes is VERY VERY VERY painful
>> for translators and give a great burden to us because it makes it
>> almost impossible to use simple 'svn up' to catch up.
>
> I'm sorry, these multiple whitespace changes were my fault due to
> a mixup with Allan Jude's original patch.  Normally, it would have
> been a single commit.
>
> I apologize for this difficulty.

Well, please don't take it too personally :)

> Would it help if these changes were reverted with a "reverse merge"
> of r43920, r43921, r43973, r43974, and r43975, then recommitted
> with the whitespace patches combined, or is it too late for that?

I think using a batch of commits instead of one big commit is
generally a good idea because the diff is easier to read/merge.  What
makes it hard to track is when the space changes are made in larger
timespan as they would be harder to ignore them or need more manual
intervention.

> If there is any way I or other committers can make this easier for
> translators, please post on the -doc mailing list or to me
> invididually.

One thing I would recommend is to separate the contents that do not
need translation (e.g. tags, entities, etc.) and contents that needs
translation.  This way, these contents would serve as a positioning
blocks when merging from upstream (English).

> We are also trying to modernize the translation process, and
> automate some of the work that translators are currently forced to
> do.  Anyone who would like to help with that is welcome.

That would be great!  How can we help, or is there some kind of TODO list?

Cheers,