Date:      25 Apr 2003 16:46:18 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: .Xr references to ports in man pages

Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org> writes:

> Throughout the SGML documentation, they are referred as
>
> <filename role="package">CATEGORY/PORTNAME</filename>
>
> Why the manpages should be different?

To avoid having erroneous information in the manpages before someone
discovers that the category has been changed without the changer
remembering and/or bothering to search all the manpages and fix all the
unnecessary category references which have gone bad.  That's too much to
expect to happen, methinks.  Also, to avoid the need to handle the
PRs that will then be (eventually) written after nearly every change.

As for the SGML, the same thing applies, but I suspect it's too hard to
fix in the SGML processing, but I recommend easing SGML maintenance by
omitting the "CATEGORY/".  There's too much more useful stuff to
maintain, as it is, and "whereis" easily gives the category to anyone
who can't guess it.