Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:12:52 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Beech Rintoul <freebsd@alaskaparadise.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using groff

--bWEb1MG/o7IKOlQF

On Sunday, 10 December 2006 at 18:04:26 -0900, Beech Rintoul wrote:
> I need to write a man page for a port I just adopted. I have absolutely no
> experience dealing with man pages or groff. Would one of you gurus point me
> at a good tutorial. The man page for groff is pretty overwhelming. I googled,
> but didn't find much that wasn't in the man page. Is there a tutorial
> specific to man pages? I can copy the style from other pages, but I have no
> clue where to begin.

RTFM :-)  In this case, the man page to read is mdoc(7).  It contains
a fair amount of information not only on the syntax needed, but also
the sometimes idiosyncratic structure (for example, a section entitled
AUTHORS even if there's only one author).

If you forget the name of the man page, man man.  It's mentioned in
the SEE ALSO section at the bottom.

Greg

--bWEb1MG/o7IKOlQF

--bWEb1MG/o7IKOlQF--