Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 95 12:06:46 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        jmb@kryten.atinc.com (Jonathan M. Bresler)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: using only DOS filesystem

Jonathan M. Bresler writes:

> > Rewrite the MSDOSFS to keep the FAT in core.  Read the CMU paper
> > comparing DOSFS and UFS under MACH... there are *many* was to cheat.
>
> 	pointers!  terry!  pointers!

An MS-DOS File System for UNIX
Alessandro Forin
Gerald R. Martin
September 1993
CMU-CS-93-196
School of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania  15213

<A shorter version of this document appeared in the 1994 Winter
 "Procedings of USENIX" and is available from ftp.sage.usenix.org>

Obtain from CMU techincal papers archive for CS department or from
CMU via WWW.

My opinions: This paper indicates a number of ways that can be
adapted to generally speeding up a DOS file system.  On the other
hand, it has an agenda against UFS that is pretty crystal-clear
in the way that they approached UFS: disabling the cache and
using very small disks, disabling clustering,  etc.

In other words, believe the DOS speedup portions of this paper
but do *NOT* believe the UFS slowdown portion of the paper; it is
rather too slanted, IMO, but useful for DOS FS work if you can
ignore the slant.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---