Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2013 23:30:15 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <yaneurabeya@gmail.com>
To:        Attilio Rao <attilio@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        alc@FreeBSD.org, swills@FreeBSD.org, jeff@FreeBSD.org, Alfred Perlstein <alfred@freebsd.org>, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org, kib@FreeBSD.org, portmgr@FreeBSD.org, nox@FreeBSD.org, vbox@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: svn commit: r248084 - in head/sys: amd64/amd64 arm/arm cddl/compat/opensolaris/kern cddl/compat/opensolaris/sys cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs cddl/contrib/opensolaris/uts/common/fs/zfs...

On Mar 8, 2013, at 6:32 PM, Attilio Rao wrote:

> Author: attilio
> Date: Sat Mar  9 02:32:23 2013
> New Revision: 248084
>=20
> Log:
> Switch the vm_object mutex to be a rwlock.  This will enable in the
> future further optimizations where the vm_object lock will be held
> in read mode most of the time the page cache resident pool of pages
> are accessed for reading purposes.
>=20
> The change is mostly mechanical but few notes are reported:
> * The KPI changes as follow:
>  - VM_OBJECT_LOCK() -> VM_OBJECT_WLOCK()
>  - VM_OBJECT_TRYLOCK() -> VM_OBJECT_TRYWLOCK()
>  - VM_OBJECT_UNLOCK() -> VM_OBJECT_WUNLOCK()
>  - VM_OBJECT_LOCK_ASSERT(MA_OWNED) -> VM_OBJECT_ASSERT_WLOCKED()
>    (in order to avoid visibility of implementation details)
>  - The read-mode operations are added:
>    VM_OBJECT_RLOCK(), VM_OBJECT_TRYRLOCK(), VM_OBJECT_RUNLOCK(),
>    VM_OBJECT_ASSERT_RLOCKED(), VM_OBJECT_ASSERT_LOCKED()
> * The vm/vm_pager.h namespace pollution avoidance (forcing requiring
>  sys/mutex.h in consumers directly to cater its inlining functions
>  using VM_OBJECT_LOCK()) imposes that all the vm/vm_pager.h
>  consumers now must include also sys/rwlock.h.
> * zfs requires a quite convoluted fix to include FreeBSD rwlocks into
>  the compat layer because the name clash between FreeBSD and solaris
>  versions must be avoided.
>  At this purpose zfs redefines the vm_object locking functions
>  directly, isolating the FreeBSD components in specific compat stubs.
>=20
> The KPI results heavilly broken by this commit.  Thirdy part ports =
must
> be updated accordingly (I can think off-hand of VirtualBox, for =
example).
>=20
> Sponsored by:	EMC / Isilon storage division
> Reviewed by:	jeff
> Reviewed by:	pjd (ZFS specific review)
> Discussed with:	alc
> Tested by:	pho

	This commit broke emulators/open-vm-tools (which helps with =
hardware acceleration and other guest OS services on VMware, et al) and =
it's been broken for ~4 months now. Please ask portmgr@ to do an exp- =
run before making KPI changes. open-vm-tools, nvidia-driver, qemu*, and =
virtualbox-ose* are and have been particularly vulnerable to sweeping =
changes like this in the past (I've had to patch a lot of 3rd party =
software broken by KPI changes in 10.x, more than in prior releases) and =
a lot of developers depend on this functionality to be sane in order to =
develop software on -CURRENT and -STABLE (and it allows us to better =
test your code).
Thanks,
-Garrett=