Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 2010 00:37:43 -0800
From:      Nick Rogers <ncrogers@gmail.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   em(4) + ALTQ broken

I'm having problems getting PF + ALTQ to work on em(4) interfaces under
8.0-RELEASE. Kernel was rebuilt with the additional options necessary for
ALTQ and what not. Same basic configuration works fine under 7.2-RELEASE.
Basically, the queues create successfully but running a pfctl -vsq shows a
zero packet/byte count for all queues, even the interface's root queues.

This same problem is mentioned in PR kern/138392, and the following forum
thread...

em(4)/e1000 driver from CURRENT does not fix the problem. Building an
8.0-RELEASE kernel with the em(4) driver from 7.2-RELEASE fixes the problem
(i.e., replacing sys/dev/e1000 with that from 7.2).

One of the machines im experiencing this on has the following intel
chipset...

[user@foo ~]$ sysctl dev.em.0
dev.em.0.%desc: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection 6.9.6
dev.em.0.%driver: em
dev.em.0.%location: slot=0 function=0
dev.em.0.%pnpinfo: vendor=0x8086 device=0x10d3 subvendor=0x15d9
subdevice=0x040d class=0x020000
dev.em.0.%parent: pci3
dev.em.0.debug: -1
dev.em.0.stats: -1
dev.em.0.rx_int_delay: 0
dev.em.0.tx_int_delay: 66
dev.em.0.rx_abs_int_delay: 66
dev.em.0.tx_abs_int_delay: 66
dev.em.0.rx_processing_limit: 100

Is this issue receiving any attention? I ask because one of the em(4) driver
contributors mentioned he had not heard of this problem in a recent thread
regarding a different em(4) bug, and this is a pretty serious problem for me
as I have many devices in production that need to be upgraded to 8.0, all
running Intel interfaces and relying on ALTQ.

I appreciate any updates or information and would be happy to test any
patches and/or provide more information. Thanks.