Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 10:34:41 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: feedback on CD install of 4.0-RC2

> I got to the step of "configuring X" (running X's GUI setup--I can't remember
> its contrived name...), the mouse was completely frozen. Only when I used the
> keyboard to tab over to the appropriate place, type "/dev/psm0," TAB off that
> dialog and hit "a" (to apply the change) did the mouse respond. After I did
> this, the GUI X config went perfectly.

That's a well-known fact and something which is decribed in XFree86's
annoying pop-up window about mouse behavior.  You're just not reading
again, son. :)

> In the "novice" case, does sysinstall run moused? If so, does the X GUI

Yes.

> install look for /dev/sysmouse by default (I can't remember ... not near the

Yes.

> Yeah, that's all I did. I just chose the "GNOME+E" menu and it told me "I'm
> installing things" and that was it. However, when I finished configuring the
> system, rebooted, logged in as "me" and typed "startx" I got twm. There was n

Ah, it only does it as root.  For some reason the skeleton files still
aren't being utilized properly and this is something I've still to
investigate.  It has, at least, always been this way. :)

> Well, perhaps at the very LEAST we could put skeletons of what needs to be
> set

I don't disagree on this, I just see a lot of variance in opinion
concerning "what needs to be set."

As far as another release candidate is concerned, yes, most assuredly
there will be at least one or two more.

- Jordan