Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:02:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What is UNIX? (was Re: Microsoft Advocacy?)

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Jonathan Chen wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 08:58:08AM -0800, Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:
>
> [...]
> > Apple's OS X is not what I would call a "unix".  Certainly, the Mach based
> > underlying kernel is unix-like, and the FreeBSD tools are unix-like.  But
> > the desktop is MacOS version 10.  It may be the closest thing to Unix as a
> > desktop, but I think they have more desktop and less Unix.
>
> Apple's OS X has as much right to be called UNIX as FreeBSD, Irix,
> AIX, and any other variant out there. You're confusing the glitzy
> front-end from the heart beneath beast.

Or maybe more right to be called UNIX(r) than FreeBSD. ("UNIX is a
registered trademark of The Open Group".)

The Open group lists Apple as a platform vendor supporting the Single UNIX
Specification:
http://www.unix-systems.org/what_is_unix/single_unix_specification.html

An article at osOpinion before Apple was listed:
http://www.osopinion.com/perl/story/9451.html

How much does it cost to take the specification tests?

(I am also curious why BSD/OS never became an official UNIX.)

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/