Date:      Sat, 16 May 2009 12:10:34 -0400
From:      Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
To:        "Paul B. Mahol" <onemda@gmail.com>
Cc:        Nenhum_de_Nos <matheus@eternamente.info>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: eeePC - disabling tap

Paul B. Mahol wrote:
> On 5/16/09, Nenhum_de_Nos <matheus@eternamente.info> wrote:
>> On Fri, May 15, 2009 18:59, Dan Langille wrote:
>>>
>>> Folks: I wish to disable the tap feature[1] for the touchpad on an EeePC
>>> 1000HE.  Does anyone know how to do that?
>>>
>>> [1] - when you tap the touchpad, you select or double click on an
>>> object.  We don't want that.  :)
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>
>>> - --
>>> Dan Langille
>> quite the opposite, I'd like to enable tap on mine, turion based asus
>> notebook. :)
>>
>> just waiting for the answer to do the opposite :)
>
> How is your touchpad detected?
> Maybe you need to use X11 synaptic driver(guessing).

Following up.... reading http://wiki.freebsd.org/AsusEee under "Touchpad
(synaptics) configuration" it says:

- - Disable moused in rc.conf
- - Add hw.psm.synaptics_support=1 to loader.conf
- - pkg_add -r synaptics and edit Xorg.conf according to synaptic's
pkg-message

I think the package information is out of date.  I see no synaptics
package.  Likely candidates include:

  x11-drivers/xf86-input-synaptics
  x11/libsynaptics
  x11/gsynaptics

Only the latter seems to have a pkg-message.  I tried that.  It (and
about 50 other packages) installed cleanly.

I altered the mouse input device in /etc/X11/xorg/conf:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
#       Driver      "mouse"
        Driver      "synaptics"
        Option      "SHMConfig"             "on"

        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

and made the changes contained within/usr/ports/x11/gsynaptics/pkg-message:

- - /etc/rc.conf
- - /boot/loader.conf
- - downside of that is I get no cursor on the console

reboot.

I see this output from sysctl:

hw.psm.synaptics.directional_scrolls: 1
hw.psm.synaptics.low_speed_threshold: 20
hw.psm.synaptics.min_movement: 2
hw.psm.synaptics.squelch_level: 3

I ran gsynaptics and unchecked "enable tapping".  I can still tap.
Restarted X.  Can still tap.

I wonder if the init process is failing, because if I run this from the
console, I get:

$ gsynaptics-init

(gsynaptics-init:1097): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

- --
Dan Langille