Date:      Sat, 12 May 2001 12:49:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: onitoring named

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sat, May 12, 2001 at 01:17:56AM -0400, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> > Hi all.  I noticed recently that I've had a high occurence of named dying
> > on various machines.  What would I put in a crontab to restart it only if
> > it's not running?  I'm not sure how to format the if statement.

Okay, on a freeBSD 3.2-Release server I found an implementation of NDC
that was written as a (buggy, but easily fixed) shell script.  I have
installed this on my 4.2 boxen as "shndc", and run it from a crontab every
20 minutes.

My nameservers are both very secure dedicated machines that, other than
webmin (boss's requirement) run nothing but DNS service.  Occasionally I
see them die on signal 11, more often with no explanation at all.  These
are the latest version, running in the most secure fashion I can get info
on. (chrooted as an unprivileged user, with quotas).  Has anyone else had
problems with named dying?

-Dan

--

I am now a lesbian.  I don't like men, but thank you for writing.

-Reply to my response to a personal ad, May 30th, 1998.