Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:03:55 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: socketpair: No buffer space available

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> I've checked nmbclusters between the two machines, and both are at 25600,
> but not sure what sysctl to look at for how much is actually used out of
> that 25600 ...

netstat -mb

nmbclusters directly affects the number of clusters available in the network
stack; it also indirectly affects the scaling of other settings, such as
resource limits on the number of sockets.  vmstat -z is also generally useful.

There are a few paths to ENOBUFS in the socket allocation code--one path is if
you are over-committed on socket buffer resources with respect to the resource
limits of the user.  Check the output of limits and the socket buffer size
limit.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge