Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 1999 01:55:58 +0200
From:      Tor.Egge@fast.no
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: successfull SMP / current on duel P-III box.Yahhhh.  I've successfully brought -current up in SMP on a duel P-III box.

>     I have one problem, though.  During the kernel boot:
>
> 	isa_dmainit(2, 1024) failed
>
>     And, of course, any access to something that needs isa
>     dma (e.g. floppy) panics.  It's a large-memory machine (1G).
>     I was under the impression that this was supposed to be fixed
>     in the vm/vm_page.c commit:

[...]

>     Anyone have any ideas?

Yes.

Using a recent -current GENERIC kernel, I reproduced the problem with
a machine having 512 MB memory.

All physical memory below 16 MB is used.

vm_page_list_find uses TAILQ_LAST when prefer_zero is set, thus
pv_table occupies the physical memory below 640 KB.

The remaining physical memory below 16 MB is allocated to
vm_page_array and vm_page_buckets in vm_page_startup, or was reserved
earlier (e.g. kernel text, data, bss).

IMO, vm_page_array and vm_page_buckets should not use physical memory
below 16 MB on large-memory machines. This can be achieved by
modyfing the contents of phys_avail, causing the largest region to
be above 16 MB.

GENERIC kernel:
	(kgdb) print phys_avail
	$66 = {4096, 651264, 3624960, 536862720, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0}

The kernel I normally use:
	(kgdb) print phys_avail
	$1 = {4096, 651264, 3301376, 16777216, 16777216, 536608768, 0, 0, 0, 0}

This works fine for machines with 512 MB and 1 GB memory.

For machines with more than 2 GB memory, the size of pv_table might become
a problem.

Alternating between TAILQ_INSERT_HEAD and TAILQ_INSERT_TAIL in
vm_page_startup might be a workaround for this second problem (causing
the memory below 16 MB not already allocated by vm_page_startup to be
in the middle of the page queues).

- Tor Egge