Date:      Mon, 12 Sep 2005 15:43:06 +1200
From:      Nikolai Schupbach <nikolai@net24.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Long Format Directory Listing 15x Slower in FreeBSD 5.x

Hello,

We have been trying to migrate to FreeBSD 5.4 from an older 4.x release
for one of our busy mail servers. But we have encountered problems with
directory listings on 5.4.

Our /var/mail directory contains approximately 8,000 files doing a long
directory listing (ls -l) takes approximately 5 min and during this time
the CPU is running near 100%, on a FSBD 4 box the same directory
contents takes less than 20 seconds to list. Even on a directory with
200 files, each file with a different owner, it will still take at least
4-5 seconds to list. The problems only seems to occur when the directory
contains files from many different users. (as in /var/mail). If I chown
all the files in the /var/mail directory to a single user the directory
listing is near instant.

It appears it has something to do with 'ls' looking up the id's in the
password database, because if I instruct ls to display numeric IDs (ls
-ln), rather than converting to user and group names, the directory with
8,000 files, with 8,000 different owners will list instantly.

The reason this concerns me so much is we are also having a problem with
our Washington IMAP / POP3 server on FBSD 5 using a lot of CPU while
operating on small and even 0 byte mailboxes, when there are approx five
or more concurrent POP3 or IMAP sessions. And I can't help thinking that
the two problems are related.

Does anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else noticed this problem? If I
can't resolve it I'm most likely going to revert to using 4.11, but I'd
really like to know what is going on. (and yes I'm using UFS_DIRHASH)

-- Nikolai