Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 17:08:41 +0100 (MET)
From:      Rob Simons <rob@Simplex.NL>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question about loosing inetd (?)

Hi,

I have a problem which happens every few days with my news server.
The machine runs freeBSD 2.1-RELEASE and has only 8 Mb of memory,
yes, I know it's a triffle too little for INN  ;-)  (going to be
replaced anyday now.)

Every now and then it seems inetd doesn't so what it should do
anymore, when telnetting to the machine the connection opens, but
nothing else happens. This is the case with any rsh, rlogin, tin,
telnet etc. The port opens, and then the connection freezes.

This same machine ran this same configuration with FreeBSD 1.0,
1.1.5.1, 2.0.5 and now 2.1, and this is the first time I encounter
this problem. Otherwise I'd probably never have mentioned it since
the machine isn't suited to handle the load anyways.

Is this a known problem with memory-tight machines ?

- Rob.

/*   Rob Simons                      |  rob@simplex.nl          *\
/*   Novell Netware System Operator  |  UNIX system operator    *\