Date:      Sat, 02 Aug 1997 19:25:20 +1000
From:      David Nugent <davidn@labs.usn.blaze.net.au>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued

>  As many you have undoubtedly noticed, I am in the process of building
>  packages for 2.2-stable and copying them to ftp.freebsd.org's new
>  packages-stable directory.  I will also move the ports tree on the ftp
>  site from under "FreeBSD-current" to somewhere else to avoid
>  confusion, and remove the "ports-current" symbolic link.  The
>  packages-current directory will eventually be deleted too (unless some
>  kind soul steps forward to build them for me).

Someone mentioned recently that thud is being rebuilt and will be
put on-line with some version of -current. If this is the case, I'll
be happy to take on this task there. I'm assuming it is a case of
building and finding out where it falls over and fixing it, correct?

>  This is truly a sad day.  The irony of this all is that it really
>  didn't have to happen, and it would have been possible for us to
>  support both 3.0-current and 2.2-stable if more consideration has been
>  made before some commits into -current.  For instance, there is no
>  reason why tcl-8.0beta2 had to go into the tree now, whether the tree
>  is called -current or not.  It is dubbed BETA of all things on the
>  master site, and we haven't even had it in our ports area to test it.
>  As some people have noted, there is no matching tk version in our
>  ports tree either.  The latest incident just reinforces my belief that
>  it was a mistake in the first place to include something like tcl in
>  the base distribution (note that it was also done without consensus
>  back then), and one we may regret for a long time to come.

I thought we were ramping up to remove it. You can imagine my surprise
to see the 8.0 beta committed. :-/

I guess, my first task, should I decide to accept it, is to figure
out how to cope with tcl8 in the source tree and tcl7.5 in ports.

Regards,
David