Date:      Wed, 08 May 2002 00:51:12 -0700
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The future of perl on FreeBSD

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> sockstat is being rewritten in C

Yes, regardless of the status of perl. :-)

> adduser is pretty straightforward and can be rewritten in sh or C
> rmuser is pretty straightforward and should be rewritten in sh

These should be sh wrappers around 'pw useradd' and 'pw userdel'.  There
is no need to reinvent pw(8) in perl as well.

> pkg_update is pretty straightforward and should be rewritten in sh

pkg_update should probably be cvs rm'ed and replaced by the portupgrade
package from the ports collection.

As for perl itself, I have 100% changed my views on it.  I was once firmly
in the 'perl must be in the base' camp, but I now think it should be
a port where we can do a proper job of it.

Cheers,
-Peter