Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 10:20:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      bmk@dtr.com
To:        jgruber@jgruber2.inhouse.compuserve.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND

> Hello,

> I have installed FreeBSD 2.0 and have a problem talking to my DNS.  The DNS is
> fine.  The local host file works fine, and I have created a resolv.conf file
> in /etc.  I'm not a DNS so I'm not loading NAMED. Any ideas?

Check the contents of /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/host.conf - they should
be similar to the following:

bmk@everest (1) % more /etc/resolv.conf
domain          dtr.com
nameserver      204.119.48.34
nameserver      rip.psg.com
bmk@everest (2) % more /etc/host.conf
hosts
bind

If you use domain names in resolv.conf, they should appear in your
/etc/hosts file and 'hosts' should be before 'bind' in /etc/host.conf.