Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2005 01:04:32 -0800
From:      BSD Mail <bsdmail@gmail.com>
To:        Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: couldn't start KDE.

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 23:48:13 -0800, Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 February 2005 11:28 pm, BSD Mail wrote:
> > Greetings,
> > I installed a fresh 5_3 upgraded the ports and source. I'm using
> > xorg. I can run blackbox without any errors. I also installed KDE
> > 3.3.2 latest one. It was running fine at first untill I started
> > installing few other applications. I'm attaching the error I recieve
> > after running startx.
> >
> > Besides that. There is another small problem. xorg.conf refuses the
> > "Modes" directive. I have an nVIDIA GeForce4 440 Go. Because the
> > FreeBSD driver from nvidia refused to work with xorg. I used driver
> > "nv" instead. I can only run 800x600 everything looks huge. I tried
> > something like Modes  "1024x758" and it refused the directive Modes.
> > It's unkown.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Did you see the error message about /tmp/.ICE-unix. Check the ownership.
>
> Kent

Sorry I forgot to mention that this is the second thing I tried
actually. I noticed the permissions for 3 other directory and the
.ICE-unix under /'tmp as root:wheel I ran chown -R user:user on them
it got rid of most the errors but still, I was getting an error about
that .ICE-unix directory. the third thing I did is I rm -rf everything
under /tmp and started kde again. Less errors and still showing the
.ICE-unix error and my previous attachment was the least error I was
able to get.

Follow up: what about the Modes  "1024x758" why the word Modes is
unknown to xorg.conf  ? and if it is. What should I use instead to
increase the resolution. At least to be able to run blackbox smoothly
till I get kde errors fixed.

thanks again for your help.

--
Regards,