Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2013 13:47:01 +0100
From:      Frank Leonhardt <freebsd-doc@fjl.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: prevent ip conflict in dhcp client

This all sounds like a very strange thing to be doing! But I hate it
when people answer my questions with "Why would you want to do that", so
I won't.

Binding an IPv4 address using a MAC address, which is the answer to a
lot of DHCP problems. But your explanation "my client acts like a
router" set alarm bells ringing. What exactly are you trying to do, and
are you aware that routers aren't (normally) configured using DHCP? If
you've got any kind of normal Internet line it will receive it's IP
address using LCP (the NCP part, and the IPCP to be precise). Or at
least, that's how I think it normally works.

Regards, Frank.