Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2001 13:05:46 -0600
From:      Jorge Biquez <jbiquez@icsmx.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Development tools.

Hello all.

First of all the best wishes to all of you and the best for the next year.

I have a friend that has developed a series of software solutions for small
companies and he is doing well selling his programs. All of them are based
on Windows, developed in VB, C, VisualFox or Delphi. He knows he has to
move out from Windows and start looking on other OS alternatives. He is
very interested in start working and studying how to migrate his programs
and he knows that "migrate" means start from zero. He decided to start with
Linux RH and FreeBsd as a first goal to move the functionality of one of
the "easiest" programs he has.

On your experience... what would be your advice to people like him that
want to start exploring the world of developing application, mainly
commercial ones on this "completely different" OS? What language to use,
database to use... he told me he heard once that Borland was on plans to
move one of their Delphi version to Linux... Are there any open source or
commercial software that integrates a graphical environment on any of the
Graphical interfaces that exist on these operating systems ?

Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

JB