Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2012 12:53:15 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: correct way for installing python extensions for 3.3?

On 29/12/2012 03:52, Roland Smith wrote:
> Currently I'm using python 2.7.3 because numpy required it. It seems that
> numpy some other extensions can now be installed for python3.
>
> Numpy for python 2.7.3 is already installed, and now I want to install it
> for python 3.3 as well. I'm just not sure how to do that? Reading
> /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.python.mk implies that setting PYTHON_VERSION in
> /etc/make.conf should only be done if you want to build extensions with an
> older binary. Is that still correct?
>
> In other words: what is the best way to install numpy and other extensions for
> different major versions of python?
>
> Roland

I'll second that. As a temporary workaround I duplicated py-numpy to
py-numpy32 and changed USE_PYTHON to 3.2. It appears that some extra
patching is needed for 3.3 which I haven't gotten to yet. Is duplicate
ports the only way to install multiple versions?

This should be extended to boost-python-libs as well. I duplicated the
port to boost-python3-libs and changed it to use py3.2. This enables the
building of libboost_python as well as libboost_python3 so it looks to
be able to support both py3.x and py2.7 if built against py3.x. I only
use this for blender so I don't know for sure that py2.7 will work right.